An idea for integrating Unix filesystem and GUI

Brenden T. brenden at rcsis.com
Sat Nov 29 20:27:41 EET 2003

James G wrote:

 > I think that this is unfortunate, and that the Unix file system is
not far from being suitable as the foundation
 > for a GUI. ... I think that the addition of three new directories
within the root directory would be a
 > significant step towards making the Unix file system a suitable
scheme for building GUIs upon.

Well, I like your idea, I think it has merit.  Certainly Apple seems to
have had good success with a similar technique with their file browser.
Having a standard that OS file browsers could standardize on might
assist Linux acceptance on the desktop.

Here's a few questions I have for the list:

1. Is anyone working on anything similar?  It does no good I think to be
redundant or work at cross-purposes, perhaps there is an existing
project that already aims to provide this feature.

2. Assuming that the answer to 1 is "no", would anyone be interested in
seeing a standard for a "desktop file system hierarchy" developed?
Would anyone participate in such a project, at least for feedback and
critique?

TTFN!