_NET: Disabling shading

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 00:29:46 EEST 2003

> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 10:22, Denis O. Mikhalkin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we want to open the discussion regarding support for shading in
> > different WMs, in particular those implementing _NET protocol.
> >
> > Right now there is no means in _NET protocol to disable shading for
> > a window. There is no state of the window in which the WM would
> > consider shading for this window disabled. We propose to add a special
> > state to support disabled shading.

My view is that this needs to fit in to a larger replacement plan for
the MWM hints. The MWM hints currently cover disabling minimization,
etc.

My view on that replacement plan is that we should stick to the semantic
window types, and deprecate all hints that explicitly control the window
controls and other features. Modal dialogs should be implemented in
toolkits by setting the MODAL hint and hints such as TRANSIENT_FOR
indicating which windows are modal-shadowed, and that's it. The WM has
to do the rest such as changing available controls and preventing focus
of shadowed windows.

We may well need to have a richer language for expressing which windows
are modal shadowed though; at the very least, the spec needs to be more
clear about how to determine which windows are unresponsive while a
window of type MODAL is active.

If it isn't clear "modal-shadowed" means "windows that you can't
interact with while the modal window is alive"

Havoc