HAL 0.1 release

Joe Shaw joe at ximian.com
Wed Oct 1 23:02:45 EEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 15:45, David Zeuthen wrote:
> For the library it's only d-bus. Mainloop integration is the
> responsibility of the application using it (through the app setting it
> in a callback [1]). Not a big deal if you use glib or Qt.

That makes perfect sense, I'm happy with that. :)

> Re strings and dictionaries I wrote some naive O(n) implementation
> myself, but that might not even be neccessary if we chose to not cache
> anything in the application, but instead use d-bus calls for
> get|set_property etc. Right now *everything* is cached per application.
> Which is, ahem, not very smart.
>
> So, in that case we will have less footprint per application, but higher
> latency. But d-bus latency is quite good, right? And we don't really
> change properties so often. The best solution might be a hybrid.

I don't think the latency is too bad... the data is going over unix
sockets and in most cases the authentication is pretty simple because
it's done in the kernel (on Linux anyway).  I wouldn't worry too much
about it unless it becomes an issue.

> I was thinking of just taking the strings and dictionary code from d-bus
> actually :-)

Also a fine solution. :)  Probably the way to go, if main loop
integration isn't a big deal.

Joe