network connections

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 2 23:44:30 EEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 22:14, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> I'd say a clean separation would work fine.  HAL would handle the
> lower-level bits of the system; modem control strings, for one example.
> The netprofile backends (like, say, ppp) could then use HAL to find and
> control the device.

Works for me.

> It would also make sense to have netprofiles recognize devices using
> HAL, versus the 'interface' parameter I put in my last mail - interface
> should probably be handled by HAL.

Ok - I'll make sure there is an (optional) parameter called
Network.Interface for network cards and modems (devices where
Category=Network). Optional, because the network interface on
the device may not be up.

On Linux, this _may_ be easy since hotplug events are generated when
interfaces come up and down.

> I'd definitely say tho that all configuration of user-parameters (login
> info, etc.) as well as connection control should be in netprofiles; we
> need that kind of configuration whether we're using a plain hardware
> device (ethernet card), or a wholly software based device (like cipe).

I fully agree. I suppose it will easy for you to integrate with HAL
when we get around to support network devices (which should be simple
for non-serial devices).

Regards,
David