HAL 0.1 release

Marc Boris Dürner mduerner at gmx.net
Sat Oct 11 17:15:32 EEST 2003

> > Properties are optional, no? They don't have to be provided (and if
> > provided don't have to be used).
>
> Not all properties are optional. Some of them we really need, like Bus,
> PrimaryCapability, State to give some minimum functionality.
>
> I think this is OK to require - some of it is probed (Bus), some if it
> is for book keeping (State), while some (PrimaryCapability,
> Capabilities) *may* be probed, but should be overridden for
> cosmetic/usability reasons in device info files

I agree. Bus, PrimaryCapability (or Category as the 0.1 spec calls it) are
properties that
we can always set for a device. A capabilities list itself can also be
guaranteed to be there,
but with 0-n elements, depending on what we probe or have in the device info
file. The
elements of the capabilitry list are optional. So I would support having
BUS, CATEGORY
and CAPABILITIES as required core properties. CAPABILITIES being a list of
optional
properties wrt "what can the gadget it do?". It is also more type safe,
because the
CAPABILITIES list doesnt have to be ordered and we force ourselves to always
set at least
a BUS and CATEGORY.

Marc