MIME updates

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Wed Oct 15 03:14:58 EEST 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:27:33 +0100 Thomas Leonard wrote:
: Aliases are for when you've got a MIME type from some external source,
: and you want the 'standard' name. It also lets us deprecate old MIME
: names(x-midi -> midi, etc). I think everyone should support it.
:
: Currently, there is no output 'aliases' file to make this easy, but
: there will be. Don't let that stop anyone from adding updates to the
: XML as it is now...

So aliases are mainly used for alias => standard name lookup; I can see
that would be useful. When a special aliases file is outputted the libs
can have a simple interface for this.

: > Could the default method for deciding between
: > application/octet-stream and text/plain be specified in more detail,
: > what -for example- is a sane number of chars to check from the
: > beginning of the file ?
:
: Does 32 sound reasonable?

Sounds good to me, although 42 would be the ultimate answer ;)
Implementations will never be completely the same but it would be nice
if they use the same heuristics - makes it less obfuscated for users.

--
   )   (       Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus]
   :   :       http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus