Fw: [mime-info] .bin and .cue

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Sun Oct 19 05:28:09 EEST 2003

Begin forwarded message:
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 19:04:35 -0500 (CDT) Derek Foreman
<manmower at signalmarketing.com> wrote:
To: Jaap Karssenberg <j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl>
Subject: Re: [mime-info] .bin and .cue

: On Sat, 18 Oct 2003, Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
:
: > It occured to me that while .iso files are recognized by the
: > mime-info database as application/x-cd-image .bin (and .cue) files
: > are not. Since some (proprietary) programs also use .bin as the
: > extension for executables, simply adding the glob won't do. On
: > inspecting the images I could not find a string that seemed unique
: > to use for magic typing, but possibly someone with more knowledge of
: > the binary format used could write a rule for this.
:
: It's not really possible to write a rule that works for all .bin
: files. it's just raw sectors from a CD.  If it was an audio cd, it'll
: be raw samples with no metadata at all.
:
: If it was structured data, you might see the sector sync pattern
:
: 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 00
:
: at the head of the file.  I think the majority of .bin files will
: start this way.
:
: I think it's also possible for a .bin file to just be an .iso.
:

--
   )   (       Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus]
   :   :       http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus