Cursor conventions spec

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Oct 23 01:45:34 EEST 2003

Around 23 o'clock on Oct 22, Fredrik =?iso-8859-1?q?H=F6glund?= wrote:

> E17 also has a cursor that looks like fleur rotated 45 degrees, which it
> uses for all corners. If we add that cursor we could get it down to three.

A cursor theme may well want to use the same image for several standard
cursors; either the defaulting mechanisms should fall back in a well
defined behaviour to make this easy to do, or we should provide some other
way for themes to do this mapping for themselves.

> I'm not sure I follow you here... some bitmap cursors will have a one-to-
> one correspondance with the new standard cursors. Are those the ones
> you mean should be mapped to a standard name in a system-wide config
> file, while the mapping information for other bitmap cursor will still be
> stored in the cursor themes?

uhh.  My idea was that these two reasons for aliasing appear to be
independent of the theme and are hence system-wide.  This would mean that
all aliases should live outside of the theme directories.  I'm not sure
restricting things this way will be useful, but I think it might simplify
the design in some ways.

-keith