Icons for mimetypes

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Oct 28 10:16:49 EET 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 18:43, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Friday 24 October 2003 10:06, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 15:05, David Faure wrote:
> > > It was suggested here that mimetype icons should simply be named after
> > > the mimetype. Here is a comment about this, and possible suggestion for
> > > improvement.
> >
> > What gnome currently does is:
> >
> > mimetype "application/x-foo" first tries "gnome-mime-application-x-foo",
> > and if that doesn't exist it falls back to "gnome-mime-application".
> >
> > This seems to work pretty well, although there are issues. For instance,
> > if a base theme adds a specific mimetype icon that is not in a derived
> > theme, the derived theme will start using the specific icon from the
> > differently looking theme instead of the generic one from the derived
> > theme.
> >
> Matching a specific document-type to just an unknown application-data type is
> not very specific. That is why I suggested using a more fine-grained content
> tree for selecting icons. So that specific document-types would fall back to
> a generic document-type, and so on.

Its not great, but it works for e.g. images and audio. A tree has other
issues such as someone needs to define a tree we can agree on, maintain
it and make sure everyone uses the same tree. It also has the same
inheritance issues that the gnome method has.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a Nobel prize-winning playboy cop in a wheelchair. She's a disco-crazy
mute angel with a flame-thrower. They fight crime!