A virtual filesystem standard

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Sep 5 18:11:19 EEST 2003

On Friday 05 September 2003 10:46, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >   This could make certain things such as SSL support really difficult to
> > properly implement.
>
> I don't see any problem actually. A program such as KEdit happily fetches
> documents across https and it doesn't know anything about SSL.
>
> I think an out-of-process VFS standard is a good idea and I would be happy
> to work on that.

  The problem, as I stated, is that the GUI code is inside the VFS for this.
In fact, in some apps it's also in the app too.  It gets woven all through.
SSL was just not designed with async I/O in mind originally.  It requires all
kinds of settings to be shared between the app and the I/O code too.  See
KHTMLPart for instance.

  Also we have the need for kssld to synchronize sessions and the certificate
database across various io slaves.  This will be quite a challenge to
implement portably.  This is what I was referring to as the OpenLDAP
approach.  It's really quite aweful, and they're only dealing with a single
LDAP connection at a time, unlike HTTP.

   It's doable of course, but it's quite complicated to get right in
comparison to the rest.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/