A virtual filesystem standard

Vincent Wagelaar vincent at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Thu Sep 18 03:15:45 EEST 2003

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 15:50, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 September 2003 03:29, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 16:53, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > What would be of extrodinary value, I think, would be a writeup of
> > >
> > >  - What works well with KIO
> > >  - What doesn't work / requires hacks
> > >  - How it could have been done better
> > >
> > > I can try to get someone familiar with gnome-vfs (maybe Alex Larsson)
> > > to do the same for that.
> >
> > Yes, this would be interesting. I'll try to find time to write it up.
>
>   Hopefully Waldo and/or David can help and we can do the same.  I think
> it's quite important to plan this out properly before diving in head-first.

Maybe another idea...

For Linux there exist atm two implementations of a virtual filesystem kernel
module:
Lufs (http://lufs.sourceforge.net/lufs/) and
Fuse (http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf).
Wouldn't this be an idea (at least for Linux, don't know if other os's have
something similar).

Instead of using smb:// thumbnails:// ftp://host you would simply map it to:
$HOME/vfs/smb and $HOME/vfs/thumbnails $HOME/vfs/ftp/host etc. Or $HOME/
Desktop. The biggest advantage is that all programs work would work out of
the box, instead of requiring yet another library.

Cheers,
Vincent