pkg-config search path

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Sep 22 05:53:01 EEST 2003

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong list, but I didn't see a pointer to an
appropriate list from the pkg-config wiki page :-)

I'm wondering if pkg-config should have a longer default search path for
.pc files; in particular, we're installing quite a few X libaries in /usr/
X11R6 with .pc files in /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig; that leaves everyone who
uses pkg-config having to set a custom path to locate those files.

I suggest we either hard-code /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig into the pkg-config
search path or use the system libary path to locate .pc files -- looking
in ld.so.conf on Linux systems, and wherever necessary on other systems.
This would make the location of the .pc files follow the location of the
.so files, which seems like a good idea in some ways.

-keith