pkg-config search path

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Mon Sep 22 17:45:36 EEST 2003

On Sep 21, Keith Packard wrote:
 > I'm wondering if pkg-config should have a longer default search path for
 > .pc files; in particular, we're installing quite a few X libaries in /usr/
 > X11R6 with .pc files in /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig; that leaves everyone who
 > uses pkg-config having to set a custom path to locate those files.

Is there a compelling reason to continue to install these libraries
into /usr/X11R6 rather than following the same library installation
practices as other software?

 > I suggest we either hard-code /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig into the pkg-config
 > search path

I can't find a way to justify the inclusion of a hard-coded path from
a specific software package into a system as general as pkg-config.

-Carl