pkg-config search path

Andrew Sobala aes at gnome.org
Tue Sep 23 21:11:02 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 18:53, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 17 o'clock on Sep 23, Andrew Sobala wrote:
>
> > Sorry, just to clarify: by "system config files" I meant ld.so.conf and
> > friends. Things that can't be changed without being root.
>
> We already have a per-user override for pkg-config (PKG_CONFIG_PATH), so I
> think it would be fine to either share /etc/ld.so.conf or create another
> /etc config file (/etc/pkg-config.conf, presumably).  Additional
> flexibility seems like it won't help solve any additional problems...

Yes; It's my opinion, however, that if this is overridden using
PKG_CONFIG_PATH and the package doesn't exist in PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
pkg-config should not fall back to the system default but fail instead.
(Or maybe that could be configurable too.)

Otherwise you end up with people linking against the wrong version of
libraries instead of downloading the beta.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes at gnome.org>