a common VFS - a different approach

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Mon Sep 22 17:12:35 EEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 12:32, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> A much less intrusive way of solving this, with a much higher chance of
> adoption and ultimate success is sitting down and specifying the details
> of "VFS URIs", and then making sure that all vfs implementations use
> this common spec.

That's certainly worthwhile, but remember 3rd party ISVs here (not KDE
nor Gnome) - it's not uncommon on Windows for programs to do the
equivalent of VFS integration to expose services that are best
represented as a set of files through Explorer. OK, so sometimes this is
abused, but sometimes it also is not.

At some point, code sharing, or at least having common interfaces/APIs
for people to plug in to is going to have to happen. While you are
probably right in this scenario, I just thought I'd point out that we do
lose something this way and the people who lose out probably aren't even
using free desktops yet :/