New standard proposal

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Sep 26 12:42:01 EEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 11:34, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be good enough to lazy unmount the device and let fam +
> > friends pick up the message that the device have been removed? I've been
> > proposing in the HAL project that libhal clients can veto a shutdown /
> > do stuff before accepting a shutdown. Perhaps that would be useful to
> > implement?
> >
> > Oh, and sometimes users just unplug the device, even though we put a
> > nice icon in the notif area indicating that the device will need to be
> > disabled. But lazy unmount also covers this, at least in my tiny test
> > case with a USB CF reader.
>
> What exactly does lazy unmount do? Unmount when the last reference to
> the mount is dropped?

Yes, something like that, it's in the umount man page (at least on RHL
9). It says it's been available since kernel 2.4.11, so it's probably
Linux specific, which means we need to make libhal clients able to do
stuff before a shutdown anyway. And I can imagine tons of other stuff
one wants to do for other categories of devices; PDA's is one example
that comes to mind.

Slightly offtopic, but it would also be nice if 'umount -f' works but
it's still cleaner to do stuff before a shutdown.

Cheers,
David