New standard proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 17:19:07 EEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 14:55, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> El vie, 26-09-2003 a las 14:43, Alexander Larsson escribió:

> > > Hmmm, The idea of volume name as mount point is a way to follow the
> > > volume names in the desktop, when you insert a CD, Nautilus shows a
> > > CDROM icon with the label as its name. If you connect an external hard
> > > disk, it's easily detect it as its label instead of something like
> > > /dev/sda1, also, the external drivers does not use always the same
> > > device, just play with two USB storages and you will see it.
> >
> > We already do this, the name shown on the icon isn't related to the
> > mountpoint name.
>
> But the volume label as mount point is a way to give that easy of use
> functionality to console users or any application that does not handle
> the Volumes automaticly like Nautilus/Konqueror.

As discussed on irc, i don't agree that this brings ease of use to
console users. It can easily cause mountpoints with spaces and other
strange characters in them, and possibly even mountpoint names that
don't validate as utf8/current encoding, leading to problems with
entering the pathname.

Furthermore i think console users are used to type a specific, short
identifier to reach a specific device. Changing the mountpoint depending
on what media is in the device will make it harder to find and type the
right pathname.

We disagree on this, so I'm interested in other peoples opinions.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a war-weary devious werewolf on a mission from God. She's a scantily clad
red-headed mechanic on the trail of a serial killer. They fight crime!