New project request/idea

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Apr 13 17:05:31 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 09:46, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 18:24, Jakub Steiner wrote:

> > I recall Rodney Dawes was working on a draft for icon file naming
> > convention. It would make a lot of sense to share a common set of file
> > names. I cannot locate the message, nor URL though. Dobey?
>
> I tried to come up with this initially when creating the icon theme
> specification itself, but there seemed to be little interest in it.
> Here is the discussion:
>
> https://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2002-September/msg00039.html
>
> By now, each desktop has their own names for icons, and it think it'll
> be very hard to change it. The names are pretty much a part of the
> ABI/API in some sense.

It would be possible to do a slow transition between current code and
the desktops' next incompatible release.  Basically, icons would need
aliases (done internally by each implementation), so that gnome-cdrom
and device-cdrom (for example) would really be the same application.
The desktop-specific names would be deprecated, and the next
incompatible release would drop them.

Not pretty, no, but may be the only option if this "problem" is going to
be fixed.

>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc
>                    alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
> He's a hate-fuelled drug-addicted farmboy who hangs with the wrong crowd.
> She's a mistrustful streetsmart Valkyrie with an evil twin sister. They fight
> crime!

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.