LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Sun Apr 18 01:47:13 EEST 2004

On Apr 17, 2004, at 3:21 PM, Avi Alkalay wrote:

>> ... and so high level that it works with/over everything. Ethernet,
>> token-ring, ppp dial-up lines, radios etc. Please consider the
>> consistency layer being a little more high level, maybe like CFGs[1].
>

> But lower level software can´t use these frameworks. Higher level
> functionality requires daemons for example, and daemons can´t handle
> security in a trusted way for example. How can a daemon know which user
> connected to it? Daemons have other problems also.

Wrong and wrong.  The framework an app uses is nothing more than an
API.  That API can use a daemon, or the implementation could directly
access the config files as does LR.  The problem is, the API needs to
support all the necessary features, or you can't add the features to
the backend.  If the API has no way to register change notification
callbacks, for example, then you can never ever add them.  On the other
hand, if we have change notification API points, then the backend can
just ignore them.

Likewise, daemons are quite capable of figuring out who connected to
them with a tad bit of design thought.  Take a look at D-BUS for an
example of this.

> How can ´mount´ use something like GConf to find the /usr device to
> mount
> it, when GConf´s libs are into this still unmounted device?

Will you quit bringing his "GConf has some many libs" argument into
place?  Nobody is arguing to bind GConf into the low levels.  You're
arguing against something nobody's arguing for.  What we are saying is
that, if we want a standard low level cross platform future proof
awesome configuration system, LR isn't good enough by far.  Neither is
GConf, nor KConfig.  Something new is needed, that perhaps borrows from
all three.  But none of those on their own implements everything we
need using the right criteria (be it features, no dependencies,
whatever).

> The point is: you can adapt lower lever frameworks to higher level
> software, but you can´t adapt higher level framework to lower level
> software. The LR is a proposal for *everything*, from low to high.

You need to learn a few things about API design...