[Registry] Re: LinuxRegistry in Freedesktop & KDE

Peter "Firefly" Lund firefly at diku.dk
Fri Apr 23 01:18:04 EEST 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Avi Alkalay wrote:

> George, you are becoming a bad boy. Lets try to make a respectfull
> conversation.

Having a respectful conversation entails reading what other people write
and reacting accordingly.

> When I investigated the possibilities, I couldn't find a way different from
> browsing /proc and discovering the owner of the socket. Maybe I used wrong
> docs.

Get a copy of Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by the late W.
Richard Stevens as fast as you can.  It really is the best source for this
kind of thing.

> It is just an example, to be not-too-cryptic for a web page. You'll never
> have a buffer overrun with LR if you use it as recomended. And BTW it is
> thread safe also.

I haven't looked at your code -- and I am certainly not going to -- but,
pray tell, what happens if you have a reader and a writer for a key and
the writer writes a value bigger than, say, 4K?

(or whatever the limit is on the size of writes that are guaranteed to be
atomic, as long as they go to real files on real file systems without the
C run-time library getting in the way)

So much for "thread-safety" (another buzzword you managed to squeeze in).

-Peter