Configuration API

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Wed Apr 28 00:38:29 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 17:59 -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> Maybe I get lost in translation, but I think I agree with your "configurable
> is the *wrong* way". It can't make everybody happy. Specially in the level
> discussed here (change notification, etc). And I think non-desktop software
> are also important for this subject.

Configurable is very important.  Mandatory, in fact.  Havoc's point (I
believe, he's probably better suited to clarify ~,^ ) is that having
this new theoretical API have a configurable backend that then layers
onto another API with configurable backend is just silly.  Configurable
backends are needed because no one backend is ever, ever going to work
for everyone.  A simple file backend may work great for your average
desktop or simple server, but something like an LDAP backend may be
necessary for large desktop deployments, and a cluster-oriented backend
may be useful for other specialized tasks.  Small systems may not be
able to fit D-BUS and change notification features in, but apps may wish
to be portable between a hand held and a workstation with a minimal of
fuss.

I also rather disagree with Havoc that GConf is "too complex."  More
just that it has some implementation warts from being a first
attempt.  ;-)  There are some things that GConf _makes_ complex simply
because GConf itself doesn't have enough functionality, such as storing
more complex preference structures.  The API is also a little more
complex than necessary for the common case.  (I'm a strong believer of
one low-level powerful API and where necessary a second layer simpler
API that wraps the former both being standard to account for all needs.)