Configuration API

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Wed Apr 28 17:29:37 EEST 2004

[I sent this before under the wrong account, silly me.]

On Wed Apr 28 11:50:12 2004, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> You're quite right. The desktop-library <-> backend API is the important
> one. However, due to potential namespace clashes, the current desktop APIs
> would probably have to prefix all the keys (maybe GNOME and KDE both
> define /system/proxy to mean different things, for example).

I'd prefer to see evidence that namespace clashes are a real and present
problem, before splitting the namespace like that.

It'd be a real pity to unify the configuration store, but then split up the
configuration again artificially.

Ideally, I'd like to have an application which could be built with 'native'
support for either GNOME or KDE to be able to have identical configuration on
both, without recourse to accessing the configuration by other means.

After all, there's a chance that wxWidgets might manage to provide that kind
of platform.

Equally, there's a huge amount of configuration data which is naturally
desktop agnostic - email related information, for instance, as well as
addressbooks and bookmarks if we choose to go that far.

Dave.