protocol handling spec?

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Sat Aug 7 14:30:52 EEST 2004

While we've made much progress in desktop environment-independent
handling of MIME types, that's not the case for protocol handling.
I don't know all of the requirements yet, so here are some basic
question that come in mind when talking about protocol handlers:

- protocol://path/file.doc != protocol://path/file.xls?,
  i.e. should protocol handling have any relation to MIME handling?

- good idea to integrate with application .desktop files?

- how to deal with multiple handlers?

- current intermediate solution in GNOME: gconf has:
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/<protocol>/command
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/<protocol>/enabled
/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/<protocol>/need_terminal
What about KDE?

- only deal with remote files? What about file://?

regs,
 Chris