DM communication standard

Raffaele Sandrini rasa at gmx.ch
Sun Aug 8 11:40:31 EEST 2004

Hi

I have implemented a feature in gnome-[session,panel] to use GDMs logout
actions (to shutdown/reboot/suspend).

It works with GDM but it would be cool if it would work with KDM too.
This reopens the discusion about a standard over the communication to
DMs. There were some thoughts about this earlier but they never made it
into one of eather GDM or KDM.

Today GDM uses a socket, KDM uses raw FIFOs for the communication. From
my point of view the GDM implementation looks pretty good but not
generic. As we talked about this in IRC, Ray came up with the idea using
D-BUS. I like it. D-BUS is surely a good and neat technology. However, i
don't know how hard it is in kdebase to throw new dependencies, this
applies also to GDM.

George, Oswald: I think you should reconsider this issue. As a last
resort, every app communicating with DMs could implement both, KDM's and
GDM's way doing that, but that is not really a resonable solution.

cheers,
Raffaele