console/desktop integration

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 9 06:54:06 EEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 07:10, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Basically I don't think you want to be super-generic here, command line
> arguments are meant for usage from the command line: many don't even make
> sense in a graphical context. I think it'd be better to have a specific
> solution to this sort of "pick an app" problem instead.

Agree completely. The right answer here is something like a
"HandleCDExec=" field in .desktop which if present is the command line
to run to handle a CD. Then the control panel can list all apps with
this line in the .desktop.

There could be a "Custom..." option where the user could create their
own command line, or something like that, for apps that don't provide a
proper .desktop etc.

Anyway, I'm not at all sure this thread belongs on freedesktop.org; it's
more of a per-desktop UI discussion, so usability at gnome.org and KDE
equivalent would be better.

Havoc