what about adding mailto: irc: aim: to the mime specification

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Aug 9 12:22:21 EEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:28:03AM +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Sat Aug  7 15:30:22 2004, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> >What about adding mailto: irc: aim: to the mime specification.
>
> a) It's not MIME, it's URI. URIs and MIME media types are wildly
> different and orthogonal things - URIs do not always resolve or refer
> to objects with a MIME type, as your three suggestions show.

  Right ! URI is the adressing mechanims, Mime-Type is an (optional) label
on the delivered resource.

> b) Two of those are things you invented - URI scheme names are
> standardised.
>
> c) An irc scheme, if registered, would probably look more like
> irc://[nickname@]/server/url-encoded-channel - or possibly
> irc:[nickname@]url-encoded-network-name/url-encoded-channel

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2396.html

---------------------
3.2.2. Server-based Naming Authority

   URL schemes that involve the direct use of an IP-based protocol to a
   specified server on the Internet use a common syntax for the server
   component of the URI's scheme-specific data:

   where <userinfo> may consist of a user name and, optionally, scheme-
   specific information about how to gain authorization to access the
   server.  The parts "<userinfo>@" and ":<port>" may be omitted.

  The closest I could find is this 7 years old expired RFC draft
   http://www.w3.org/Addressing/draft-mirashi-url-irc-01.txt

Though not maintained anymore
   http://www.w3.org/Addressing/schemes
gives an interesting list of URI schemes and their specifications.

Getting an unified subset with relevant pointers for desktop use
would IMHO make soem sense, and avoid some of the ugly URI tweaks
I have seen a bit too often suggested around desktop development.

Daniel