keyboard shortcuts

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Tue Aug 10 00:24:15 EEST 2004

Joseph Wenninger wrote:
> I recently saw that the GNOME HIG says that CTRL+TAB should be used for
> leaving multi line edit boxes, which use the TAB alone for inserting a
> TAB into the text.

Yes, Alt+(n) is used for tab-changing.

> In KDE KWin uses per default the same short cut for desktop switching .

Which is annoying when using Mozilla and switching tabs with Ctrl+Tab.

> ==> My question: Would it be feasable and worth the effort to create an
> free desktop standard keyboard shortcut specification, for the most
> imporant/common actions ?

Despite what I mentioned above, I'm not sure it falls under xdg
'jurisdiction'. Windows uses Ctrl+Tab, and for the most part the widget
libraries use similar keybindings to GDI. Unification sounds good, but
it seems everyone has an important use for the Ctrl+Tab key combo.

--Pat