Notifications system discussion

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.qinetiq.com
Tue Aug 10 19:17:23 EEST 2004

>  This somehow brings up the question why do you need a spec at all just for
> passive popups. If you want just that, and want to do everything else in the
> client, why don't you do this in the client as well? Or the other way around:
> If you want to have passive popups in the server, why don't you do the rest
> in the server as well?

The reason to have a server is so you can co-ordinate presentation and
ensure multiple notifications don't conflict. The reason to have a spec
is because it's straightforward enough that it'd be silly *not* to have
one, you'd end up with multiple implementations that are incompatible
simply through being apart.

I'll let Christian deal with the other comments ....