keyboard shortcuts

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Aug 11 22:27:26 EEST 2004

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 21:16, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> > I assume that whenever you use the keyboard based text selection you firstly
> > use the mouse to point to the relevant area (focus selection on the text
> > area)?!
>
> Google moves the focus automatically to an entry box, and other
> well-designed forms may do the same.  If I pop up a new Mozilla
> tab in google and the focus jumps automatically to the entry box, then I
> start shifting rapidly through my tabs, it'll *stop* on the google tab
> because my focus is on an entry box there.

This is why konqueror has Ctrl+'[' and Ctrl+']' as shortcuts for cycling through
tabs (and apparently Ctrl+',' Ctrl+'.', mostly useful for US-keyboard users).

Shift+arrows really only works in konsole since there's no cursor that can select
text that way there; ksirc uses e.g. Alt+arrows to cycle through tabs,
and Alt+shift+arrows to swap them. But Konqueror can't use those:

> I don't think it's going to work.  I think alt-left and alt-right are
> available, however.

They are common accels for Back and Forward in web browsers :(

I don't think there's a simple solution to this (do our keyboards have not enough keys?)
and I don't think this is a topic for xdg@ either (it's not even standardized within
KDE applications yet, how could it be standardized across different environments?)