we need a spec for handling mediums

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 23:18:01 EEST 2004

I was saying global as cross framework, or framework independent, and
not global as one definition to all users on the system.

In my vision, if its not global (same configuration information
accessible by both Gnome and KDE), you are moving the responsability
to set this specific configuration away from the app developer, to the
distribution or the app packager. So then, you'll have each distro to
possibly have a different place to set this configuration, and then
you'll have inconsistency between distros.

So a commercial app you are installing, that wants to know about your
preferred media player, will have to know in which distro it is being
installed, and it will probably support only distro A and B.

So this is why app configuration, and interrelation between different
apps, must be in the hands of app developers, and not distros. Good
software interrelation makes a wholy integrated system. It is 1*1=1
instead of 1+1=2.

I'm not sure if made myself clear....

Regards,
Avi