we need a spec for handling mediums

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Mon Aug 16 16:02:22 EEST 2004

> "Implement the API primarily as a D-BUS interface. The client library
> should be a thin convenience layer over the D-BUS interface."
>
> This is fine for desktop infrastructure (like ROX-Session, gnome-session,
> etc), but what about applications? Programs like Gimp, ROX-Filer, etc,
> can't assume there is a D-BUS daemon running to handle their
> configuration.
>
> (This isn't a problem for RedHat, of course, since you'll start a D-BUS
> session on login for all desktops, but upstream authors can't assume
> everyone will be using RedHat.)

Well, if you want a meaningful shared config system I think you have to
add a dependency on *something* in order to use it. DBUS isn't stable
yet so any talk of using it in new specs is fairly blue-sky. It might be
worth revisiting when DBUS is at 1.0.