we need a spec for handling mediums

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Aug 16 17:20:14 EEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 09:37, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Good point, it's too bad the only discovery mechanism is environment
> variables.

Others have said that too but I haven't heard a viable alternative
proposed.

  - file in /tmp : what is it called? remember per-session not per-user
    or per-machine
  - X property : we can use this in addition to env variable,
    but an answer for non-X apps is needed

>  Perhaps just have no notifications and a simplistic locking
> scheme if DBUS is missing

Means your conf library has to be much larger, to contain the whole
implementation rather than just a way to talk to dbus. libgconf does
contain the whole implementation like this now but I think it kind of
sucks since nobody uses it that way.

>  (.... or allow DBUS installation, startup and
> discovery without leaving your session)

Not possible without a discovery mechanism other than environment
variable, since you can't go set the env variable for stuff you already
launched.

Havoc