Trash mechanism

C. Gatzemeier c.gatzemeier at tu-bs.de
Wed Aug 25 15:10:41 EEST 2004

Am Wednesday 25 August 2004 13:05 schrieb Mike Hearn:

> LD_PRELOADed libraries can be useful but we need better infrastructure
> in order to deploy them as part of a desktop system (in particular, some
> way to mark binaries as having particular libraries preloaded).

Yeah, I had simmilar doubts. But after reading libtrash readme I found it
quite reasonable. Libtrash already takes several measures. When preloaded it
checks for environment variables that can control its behaviour for example.

It's configurable and by default also only "trashes" files under /home.

> A better solution is either:
>
> - to implement this at the FS level, so there is a userspace API to
> locate deleted files and undelete them, with space being selected for
> reuse based on the age of the deleted files and then actually deleted
> atomically
>
> OR
>
> - to have a freedesktop API specifically for trashing files, whereby
> trashing is something you only do for user documents and not for system
> level files.

Yup, unfortunately only some FSs might support the former though and the
latter would work only on a leaky "desktop" level again?

Cheers,
Christian