Trash mechanism (tech wrting proposal)

mr at ramendik.ru mr at ramendik.ru
Thu Aug 26 15:45:41 EEST 2004

Hello,

Alexander Larsson wrote:

> Yeah. We should probably also make it world unreadable and with sticky
> bit (like /tmp) so that you can't look at it, and rename or remove other
> peoples trash dirs. Of course, even with the sticky bit set the person
> who creates the .Trash dir can still rename/remove other users trash
> dirs. I dunno what to do about that.

Why not automatically chown it to a "trash" user immediately after creation?

BTW, this seems like an implementation detail to me. But a standard for
trash location, filenames, info etc. is really really really desirable!

In this way, even those who prefer not to use Gnome or KDE for File
Management (I'm a Midnight Commander guy, and there are other FMs too)
will be able to use this. Even the (admittedly problematic) libtrash could
be updated to use the same trash mechanism. And, things like automatic
background purges (non-dependent on DEs and even on X) could be created;
and Samba could get to use this trash mechanism and perhaps even make it
available to Windows clients...

The opportunity is tremendous and exceeds just a Gnome+KDE sphere. So I'm
very interested in how this thread works out. And I'm a professional tech
writer.

So, perhaps anyone would want my services in writing/editing/finalising
this spec? I'm available as a volunteer here.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik