does MIME spec have framework support?

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 27 13:18:16 EEST 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 07:11:50PM +0200, Kristof Vansant wrote:

> I was thinking about beepmp with a gstreamer backend.
>
> Now this would mean that which files beepmp can play depends on
> gstreamer. So lets say gstreamer has codecs for wav and ogg,
> beepmp can play these. Interresting could be to let gstreamer register
> the files it can play (audio) and then let beepmp just say inherent
> gstreamer audio part. Because on install it is impossible for beepmp to
> know what it will support.

> So on audio codec install a record is added to gstreamer.
>
> This would be the same for video (could be interresting for example
> totem with gstreamer backend)
>
> you could do the same for programmes using xine as backend.
>
> Sorry for bringing it up, if this is already implemented :)

The only way to do this now is to add a virtual type (eg
'audio/x-gstreamer-supported'). gstreamer would then make all the audio
files it can play inherit from this type. beepmp would declare that it
could play this type.

When a launcher wants to play a wav file, it sees that wav inherits from
x-gstreamer-supported and adds all those applications to the list it
displays.

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk	tal197 at users.sourceforge.net