Trash specification, version 0.1

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Mon Aug 30 17:06:51 EEST 2004

Hello,

Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > If so, we need to provide for "escaping". But then, other files (like
> > *.desktop) probably had to deal with this somehow. What is the solution
> > there?
>
> It uses \n escaping.

And escapes \ as \\ ?

> > But is an epoch number portable across operating systems and
> > architectures?
>
> How could it not be? Its the number of seconds since the epoch (00:00:00
> UTC, January 1, 1970). Its what the posix time() function returns. It is
> also how ctime, mtime and atime are stored in the structure returned
> from stat(). So, its not like its an uncommon format for file times.

So you would prefer a hexadecimal representation of the epoch number, in
UTC?

(I now tend to think both UTC and local time are needed, to satisfy
automatic filters on local time. But we need to reach a consensus on
what time(s) are needed and in what format, before I write this into the
spec).

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik