Cross-desktop helpers

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Fri Dec 10 22:11:44 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 11:25, Tim Ringenbach wrote:
> nf wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 22:00, Alex Graveley wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I really want a way to make my users happy.  XDG's charter is to provide
> >>the mechanism for this.  Yet I still have no desktop-neutral way of
> >>accomplishing the following:
> >>
> >>	* opening a file browser for a given local directory
> >>	* opening a web browser
> >>	* opening an email composer
> >>
> Pretty much all of these are url protocols. You could rewrite that list:
>     * file:///
>     * http://, https://, ftp://
>     * mailto:
>
> Are there ones that don't fall into this catagory?

Off the top of my head, there's the terminal, character map, calculator,
and sound recorder.  Most desktops provide these utilities.  While most
applications don't need these as much as, say, the user's web browser, I
do know of at least one largeish cross-platform application that's able
to call the sound recorder to record and import a sound file on Windows
on Mac, but doesn't have this functionality on X because there's no way
to get a "standard" sound recorder.

--
Shaun