Cross-desktop helpers

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Mon Dec 13 12:41:56 EET 2004

Alex Graveley wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I like the env var approach because it makes it trivial for any desktop
> environment to point at its preferred copy of magic-exec, instead of
> trying to put all the logic for all desktops into a single library.

Sure, I suggested that each desktop had its own lib so gnome-exec would
be replaced with DESKTOP_LIB=libgnomedesktop.so.0 or whatever, and any
library named in $DESKTOP_LIB conformed to the same interface.

I'd rather have standards for each different technology though rather
than letting each desktop reinvent the default-app (or whatever) wheel.
But this seems like a good temporary compromise in the face of limited
manpower.