New clipboard proposal

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Fri Dec 31 01:10:25 EET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 22:35 +0000, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 20:21 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> > There's been many problems with the current implementation of the X11
> > clipboard. Before I start with my new proposal I'll guide you through
> > the current implementation so you'll understand some terminology. If you
> > already know everything about the clipboard on X11, you can skip all
> > this, of course.

> Before going any further, do you think it might be more appropriate to
> keep followup discussion localised to one list only? (Sure, the initial
> mail arguably had wide interest, but the thread is liable to fragment.)

> I'd nominate xdg-list for people to reply to (it's probably the most
> suitable list for this kind of discussion).

Indeed. I recommend using only that mailinglist for followups.

What I've build so far (but of course it's newyear-days and and stuff
for me, so I haven't got much time so far) is a simple pure xlib+dbus
application that will, for testing purposes convert, a
Clipboard-Owner-Has-Changed event to a dbus event. I attached one .c
file of it.

Only to prove the possibility of using the listed technologies without
any dependency like qt, glib, gtk, gnome or kde. I fear any such
dependency would void any effort. Noway "the other" desktop-team would
ever agree upon depending their system on it.

Since it's highly unfinished I'm not yet going to throw the complete
test with autotools build environment on a website. If you really want
it, you can ask of course.

It'd be nice if the freedesktop.org people addressed the proposal. It
would also be very nice if people wanted to help coding or propagating.
If I'm going to put my time in it, I'd like to solve the problem.
Seriously. I'd dislike to create yet another meaningless proposed
solution that wont ever be used nor implemented because people didn't
agree upon something specific.

I'm convinced the clipboard problems can for once and for all be fixed.
We have the required components, today.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org