New clipboard proposal

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Fri Dec 31 03:20:54 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 01:34 +0100, Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:03:52 -0800 John Davidorff Pell <johnpell at mac.com> escribió:
>
> > I'm not an X developer, but I am a user, and I thought I'd comment. :-)
> >
> > I don't like the dependance on dbus. Why can't the X server itself
> > maintain the contents of the various clipboards? (assuming they're
>
> I guess that with dbus clipboard could be shared between x and
> console-only programs? Although I hope nobody is insane enought to want
> that... :)

Please don't use the full list of mailinglists used in the CC of the
initial message. Only using the xdg of freedesktop.org suffices.

While developing my first attempt to build a clipboard manager (very
very long ago and the result is very very ugly indeed), I've had many
requests for such clients.

It could be useful, yes. For example some text-editors might want to use
it rather than using the terminal. How are you going to paste the
"text/html" target of a selection you made in mozilla, to a console
text-editor if the terminal is using the UTF8_STRING target? Using the
proposed mechanism this would be perfectly possible by letting the
text-editor query the xclient through DBUS. It would just ask it
directory in stead of using the xterm|terminal and the xserver.

DBUS isn't tight to any X library. It doesn't have many dependencies by
itself. As far as I know one of it's few dependencies is an xml library
like libxml.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org