New clipboard proposal

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Dec 31 19:05:50 EET 2004

On Thursday 30 December 2004 20:21, Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> o. A clipboard manager will, using the new Xfixes extensions,
>    catch clipboards that will be lost if the selection-owner
>    gets destroyed. That same clipboard manager will persist
>    the clipboard when the session is about to get shutdown.

I think this is a problem.
Imagine you have an application and the selection is about 100MB of data.
As long as the owner exists and no transfer is requested this 100MB of data
are part of the application's memory space.

When the application exits the manager either has to "choose" one target or,
as I read in some other reply, request all targets.

First option has the problem that pasting while the owner is still present
will very likely get you a different result than pasting from the manager,
while the second option has the problem that it will multiply the amount of
necessary memory by the number of targets.

Cheers,
Kevin