XDG Base Directory Spec

Andrew Sobala aes at gnome.org
Sun Feb 8 22:33:02 EET 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 20:00, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2004 20:53, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 19:35, Lee Willis wrote:
> > This has been hashed out on GNOME mailing lists before. The big problem
> > is that directory names aren't localisable, so promoting that as a
> > "standard" is a problem for users of different locales.
>
> You mean translatable ? Mac OSX does this. Why shouldn't we...
> There is a set of directories which you don't see in the finder (all the unix
> dirs like /bin, /usr, ...) and others which get translated names in finder.

It's possible. The argument against would be that:

a) Legacy programs won't show the translated name, and
b) Terminals won't show the translated name

So what you'd probably get in reality is an inconsistent user
experience. Imagine how confused someone would get if the same directory
was called different things in different programs.
--
Andrew Sobala <aes at gnome.org>