XDG Base Directory Spec

Marco Canini marco.canini at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 9 17:28:39 EET 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 12:12, C. Gatzemeier wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 8. Februar 2004 21:33 schrieb Andrew Sobala:
> > On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 20:00, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>
> [Personal Dir Specs]
>
> > It's possible. The argument against would be that:
> >
> > a) Legacy programs won't show the translated name, and
> > b) Terminals won't show the translated name
>
> What about this:
> User (or localized scipt) creates folders as he wants and can specify them for
> certain uses (music, mail, etc.). All this does is defining a corresponding
> environment variable apps can check for defaults, legacy programs will work
> as always.
>
> I would not recomend forcing or annoying any user with fixed folders in his
> home directory. It's just as in your real home.

I strongly agree with you.
One of the things i like more in using linux is the absence of all the
fixed things that windows has.
And also this My Anything thing is so stupid and useless. I want my
music to live in music folder or mp3 folder, what the hell apps care
about the actual place?

Marco Canini <marco.canini at fastwebnet.it>