XDG Base Directory Spec

Marco Canini marco.canini at fastwebnet.it
Mon Feb 9 20:36:02 EET 2004

I understand what you're suggesting and my ideas are the following:
* don't make them fixed as you agree
* define defaults (without "My " prefix)
* let the user configure actual places with a simple config file
overridden by env vars
* don't add localization for folder names, if you want localized icons
make them as link (even windows doesn't make localized folders, windows
is mainly a single user per session and single locale OS IMO)

The My prefix makes IMO the directory layout not easy to understand
because:
1) It adds 3 unnecessary characters to dir names
2) Since the directory is in your home folder by default it's obvious
that it contains YOUR files, so it's stupid to say MY ...
3) The default sort order is alphabetical and when I search for a video
instinctively I go to Videos folder under the 'V' letter, 'M' for music,
'D' for documents and so on. It's useless to go every time to the M,
search for My and the read the word after.
4) Spaces in dir names aren't all that UNIX users friendly

Cheers

--
Marco Canini <marco.canini at fastwebnet.it>