XDG Base Directory Spec

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Feb 10 23:17:42 EET 2004

David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 February 2004 06:05, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>The actual directory is going to have to have the same name in all locales.
>>  Otherwise, how would applications deal with them?
>
> By looking it up in a config file?

Yes an application could do that.  We could also use an environment
variable for each of the.

> (that's what we do in KDE for the location of the Desktop, the Trash, the
> Documents folder and the Autostart folder). I think the same can be done
> for any user-visible folder we might want to define.

Yes, but these are internal KDE functions not directly accessed by third
party applications.

The problem is still that an application might ignore this and simply use
the English name for the folder.  This would cause problems.  For this to
work, it should be setup so that third party applications are not aware of
the actual folder or its location -- they should just 'think' that they are
using $HOME but the DeskTop is directing them to a different folder.  Is
this possible?

--
JRT