Session Management Proposal

George jirka at 5z.com
Sat Jan 3 20:02:34 EET 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 08:50:33PM -1000, Ray Strode wrote:
> > no ... the requests to the dm are always scheduled for after the
> > session exits by itself
>
> Yup, my bad.  Actually I think GDM also has a way to say
> "Shutdown now" (versus "Shutdown when everyone is done"), but
> session managers should use the safe shutdown option.

No, there is no 'shutdown now', there's only 'shutdown after this session is
done' and 'shutdown after all sessions are done' (in current CVS anyway,
I haven't actually tested that code yet, that's why there wasn't a devel
release yet :)  I think session manager should use the 'shutdown after this
session is done' and then it should end the session and the dm will shut
down.  The other option is more for some sysadmin tool IMO.

The session manager should take care of warning the user if there are other
users logged on I think, perhaps even looking at ssh logins and such.  But
that's an implementation detail of the session manager.

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   I wanna be sedated.  -- Ramones