Third-party sessioning requests [was Re: Session Management Proposal]

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Jan 7 13:12:13 EET 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 09:34:03AM +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> With KDE, to get this program started automatically, you just need to
> put a .desktop file in /usr/share/autostart/ and it will get started by
> KDE session manager.

actually, autostart is processed by kdesktop, not ksmserver.
i don't see a reason why it should be in the session manager.

> Such behavior isn't available in current version of gnome-session,

see? KDE _is_ better. :-P  :))))
pun aside, i'm wondering in how far it makes sense to standardize this -
in any way every DE needs an own autostart folder, but they could read a
shared one additionally, if this sounds appropriate.

greetings