Third-party sessioning requests [was Re: Session Management Proposal]

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jan 8 14:15:56 EET 2004

Bill Haneman wrote:

> Frederic was on-the-mark here; most/all desktops currently use some
> mechanism for
> specifying 'startup programs' (outside of the existing 'sessioning'
> mechanism). The
> full-blown sessioning/save-yourself protocol of course requires client
> interaction, etc. but
> this request isn't about saving state, it's just about adding a client
> to the exec list.
>
> I am saying that we need IMO a standard mechanism for doing this
> (i.e. what gnome does with session-manual and KDE does with
> autostart) just as we are working on a standard sessioning mechanism.

Okay so would adding $XDG_DATA_HOME/autostart and
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/autostart to the DSME
be sufficient and okay with everyone? (Note those prefixes come from
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/basedir-spec)

So if something needed to be started automatically then its desktop file
could be
dropped into any of the above autostart directories and it would be
started automatically.

We're probably going to have to standardize some new .desktop keys for
triaging
load order.

--Ray