More on hotplug issue w/HAL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Jan 9 03:47:44 EET 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 02:41, Matthew Mastracci wrote:
> > This is currently discussed on linux-hotplug and lkml. One possible is
> > solution is to get Linux 2.6 to generate hotplug add/remove on media
> > change which would make it work easily with HAL.
> >
> > If this doesn't happen we will have to poll on *all* the devices (udev
> > would also have to create *all* the possible nodes for partitions e.g.
> > /udev/sda1 through /udev/sda15). To poll we would use open("/udev/sda?",
> > O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK). This would work today.
>
> Ah cool.  Perhaps I should subscribe to those lists as well.  Is
> linux-hotplug more appropriate venue to discuss items like this?

Yeah, HAL (well the Linux implementation; HAL is supposed to work on
other kernels as well but only Linux 2.6 is supported at this point)
depends on hotplug and udev, and these are both being discussed on
linux-hotplug. General HAL discussion is currently on this list

> I'm working on adding I2C bus support for HAL as we speak.  I'd like to
> see my I2C tuner appear underneath my BT848 card.  ;)

Great; help is always welcome.

Cheers,
David