HAL: camera

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jan 14 20:27:55 EET 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 16:01, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 05:40, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 January 2004 03:53, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > According to the HAL spec, the 'camera' capability is for still-image
> > > cameras.  Shouldn't it perhaps be that 'camera' is for any kind of
> > > digital camera, and have the capabilities 'camera.image',
> > > 'camera.audio' and 'camera.movie', or something of that nature?  Even
> > > many still-image cameras these days also support movies.  'camera'
> > > doesn't just mean still images, and it's likely apps will want to
> > > differentiate between still image, video, and mixed-mode cameras.
> >
> > What about other sources for still images or video?
> > (scanners, TV inou grabber, DVB interface cards)
>
> Hmm, those too should perhaps be different capabilities, or sub
> capabilities?  The interfaces used for scanners are different than those
> used for digital cameras, so again apps need to be able to
> differentiate.

The interface might be different depending on what you want to do.
I think I read on the SANE site that it can handle (assuming a proper backend)
any raster image source, e.g. scanners, cameras, framegrabbers, etc.

A scanning framework might want to look for all raster images sources and not
care if it is a camera.

I have to admit that I have not the slightest idea about your capabilities
system (just reading the mails sporadically) but maybe still image source
should be a top level capability.

Cheers,
Kevin